I’m a control freak, everybody knows that, and I love planning, making lists etc. (even if that might not show here). But finding the right planner is incredibly hard, thus I made my own from an old book, a binder and a few other bits and pieces.
After many trials and errors, blood sweat and tears (literally, I cut my finger, be careful with those scissors kids!), it’s finally done and it actually came out okay.
- Old book (hardback)
- Nice paper or fabric
- Binder with rings
- Screws (make sure it looks nice since it’ll be visible at the back of the book)
- Utility knife
- Hole punch or an electric screwdriver
Let’s get started!
- First, separate the cover from the book by cutting it free at the spine. Be careful and don’t cut into the spine when you separate them.
- Measure the width and height of the book.
- Cut the paper/fabric that goes inside according to the measurements. This is also where you can be really creative. Make pockets for sticky notes, attach pieces of rubber bands or elastics to put your pens etc. And glue it to the inside of the book.
- Detach the clips or paper holders (whatever you call them) from the binder. They should look something like this. I know the paper holders (or clips?) differ depending on where you live. But for it to work it needs to have a solid base that you can attach to the spine.
- Place the holder at the spine of the book where you want it and measure the distance between the holder and the end of the spine. Turn the book around and place the holder on the outside of the spine and mark where you want the screws to go when attaching the plate to the inside of the book.
- Make your holes.
- Attach the plate using the screws.
- And there you have it. It’s all done! Now you just have to fill it with you planner pages, dividers, bookmarks and such. Be creative!
I love my planner! It’s versatile, unique, nice looking and I mean, what’s not to love?
If you try it out, please send me some pics, I’d love to see them!